How to package kernel module

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 21:21:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 17:17 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> This is a very tough nut.   I really don't have any policy or even any
> wacky un-implementable tool implementations that are going to pretend
> to address this. As long as upstream kernel is driving forward
> agressively without an established API for external module writers
> there really isn't much to be done here. Extras modules are simply
> going to break with kernel updates on occasion and downstream
> packagers are going to have to bust their hump fixing the addon
> modules.

As I've stated before, the only way to solve this issue is to build
kernel-module-* for all existing kernel packages, and to have some way
for kernel-module-* to get rebuilt when new kernel errata are released.

We're obviously not anywhere near that yet.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!