How to package kernel module

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 22:00:27 UTC 2005

On 9/1/05, Tom 'spot' Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 17:17 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> As I've stated before, the only way to solve this issue is to build
> kernel-module-* for all existing kernel packages, and to have some way
> for kernel-module-* to get rebuilt when new kernel errata are released.
>
> We're obviously not anywhere near that yet.

I think you misunderstood.. but Dave got my gist. In this post i was
talking simply about the rate of change internally of the kernel
itself. There isn't an API out-of-tree module writers can rely on, so
out-of-tree modules will break on occasion with kernel updates,
regardless of how much build automation is present. Sure build
automation would help speed up the timescales of best case
situations... and would help the turn around time for addon modules
that dont rebuild cleanly. But when modules do have a problem
rebuilding against a kernel update it could be very difficult for
downstream packagers to fix without some significant support from
module developers directly. And even then it might be a noticable
time-lag.

-jef