FUSE - Z80 ROM documentation

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 22:03:33 UTC 2005

A big +1 to Jef.  This is precisely why we've avoided the incorporation of
"content" so assiduously.

The ROMs, it seems to me, are yet another example of content with
ambiguous licensing.

Code, in our world, has very clear licensing parameters; either it
conforms to an acceptable license, or it doesn't.  Very black and white.

Content is seldom that simple, because it seldom has copyright status
explicitly associated with it in the same way that code does.

What we need is an unambiguous policy around shipping content.

If that policy is: "don't ship content," then we're done.

If that policy is: "explicit assignment to the public domain," then we
need a way to keep track of those assignments.

If that policy is: "keep track of the various content licenses, like the
various docs licenses and the CC licenses, and like the CC:SA and so
forth," then we need to figure out which content licenses we support, and
which we don't.  And that, folks, will take time.

--g

                     ] [ dumb.  --mcluhan