Updated policy for licensing texts

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 19:55:14 UTC 2005

While we are still waiting for Red Hat Legal to return specific answers
on the licensing legal questions, I proposed a policy change in the
interim to FESCO. This change was announced (and approved) during the
FESCO meeting on September 8th, and revised by FESCO from then until
now.

The new policy is as follows:

- Any package which includes a license text(s) in its own file from
upstream MUST include that as %doc.

(Note that this only covers license text(s) that appear in a text
document, not situations where the license text is only embedded in
source files. In those situations, you do not need to include source
files as %doc)

- If the package does not include license text(s) as a separate file
from upstream, the packager SHOULD query upstream to include it.

- Packagers are no longer required to add any license files which are
not included from upstream. If you have already done this for your
package(s), then you are not required to undo this, but can, at your
discretion.

The PackageReviewGuidelines have been updated to reflect this change in
policy. Questions or comments are welcome.

Thanks,

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!