FC5 and Rebuilds

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Sep 16 15:18:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 08:00 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> I don't keep a Fedora-devel box, I install the test releases when Test 1
> becomes available and then keep it up to date until core release, and
> then I nuke it.
>
> Is there going to be an automatic rebuild of Extras stuff in devel when
> Test 1 comes out, or are we going to be expected to request rebuilds?

In the past, we have done this, and pointed out what broke for those
maintainers to fix on the mailing list.

> Regarding the package I know will fail, it will fail because a version
> of a shared library it depends upon (I believe its libgtkhtml) has
> changed. Unless upstream provides a patch they sanction, my preference
> would be to package the old version as a compat library, rather than
> patch it to use the newer version. What (if any) are the general
> guidelines in that scenario?

Presumably, upstream should be interested in making sure that they are
still functional against the latest release of libgtkhtml, as others
(re: gentoo users) are likely to run headfirst into it as well.

If it were my package, I'd patch it to work against the new libgtkhtml,
and send upstream the patch for inclusion. If (and only if) they reject
the patch, would I start considering other options.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!