License for application name and logos (Was: Creative Commons license for pictures)

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 21:29:04 UTC 2005

On 9/29/05, Christian Jodar <tian at c-sait.net> wrote:
> > While changing the license to MPL might (IANAL) allow it to use these
> > images... it would not allow the project to be combined with Fedora
> > Extras, Debian, etc because their overall licenses are more aligned
> > towards "You cant stop someone from selling this work as a seperate
> > piece of work."
>
> Then now I am definitively lost...

Sorry about that.. I am going off of what I have learned eating lunch
with lawyers.. it should not be taken as legal advice or useful. Get a
lawyer.. or ask debian-legal :).

Here is my best way to clarify. The 'license' for the images seem to be at:
http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/identity-guidelines/firefox.html

They basically seem to be items to keep you from infringing/hurting
their trademark'd images. They do not say anything about you not being
able to distribute these images in a sub-product (commercial or not).

My comments are on using the CC NC licsense and MPL which may be
incompatible since the MPL says that the product can be bundled into a
larger product with no restrictions on its selling. I dont think that
the CC BY-SA would conflict with the MPL.. but this is where lawyers
keep us safe from ending up in court. I would get a real lawyer to
answer that question ...

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator