Updating a package in multiple branches

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Apr 6 14:48:44 UTC 2006

Tim Jackson wrote:
> This is the first time I've done a package update, so forgive me if I'm
> missing the obvious here.
>
> I've just successfully updated altermime in the devel branch from
> 0.3.6-0.3.7, following the instructions on
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/UsingCvsFaq . That's cool, but now
> I need to update the FC-4 and FC-5 branches. Do I have to repeat the
> whole process for each branch (including uploading the package source
> tarball again) or is there some shortcut to say "copy what's in the
> devel branch to branches X and Y". What about the sources file, should I
> ever touch this manually or only ever allow it to be changed via "make
> <something>"?
>
> Is there a document about this that I should be reading?

I do pretty much the same thing for each branch. The source upload takes
no time at all though, as it's skipped if the file is already present in
the lookaside cache, so all that step does is to update the "sources"
and ".cvsignore" files.

So I basically do:

cd package
cvs update -dP
cd devel
cp -p /path/to/new/tarball .    (update source)
vi package.spec                 (update spec)
(extensive testing of new package version)
make new-sources FILES=tarball
cvs commit package.spec sources .cvsignore
make tag
make build
cd ../FC-5
mv ../devel/tarball .
cp ../devel/package.spec .
make new-sources FILES=tarball
cvs commit package.spec sources .cvsignore
make tag
make build
cd ../FC-4
mv ../FC-5/tarball .
cp ../devel/package.spec .
make new-sources FILES=tarball
cvs commit package.spec sources .cvsignore
make tag
make build

etc.