RFC: Fedora Extras EOL Policy

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Apr 14 13:34:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:41:08 +0200 (CEST), Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Could you add your proposition to the wiki ?

No. And please don't do it for me either. This list is for discussion. The
Wiki is for the final wording or draft thereof. The goal of this thread is
to collect community input.

> It's not the same one Jesse Keating proposed. Different enough in fact I
> would accept it, but not the wiki one.

The basic plan is the same, with a few things not being carved into stone
yet. The terminology is different. End-of-life means a branch is dead. A
dead branch, which is still updated, is not dead. We should be careful
when and how to use the term "supported". The Wiki page also uses the term
"expectations" and moves the responsibility for legacy updates onto the
shoulders of the Security Response team, which is still work in progress,
too. No packager can be forced/urged to update multiple legacy branches for
an indeterminate period of time. So, policies are needed.