RFC: Fedora Extras EOL Policy

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 17:14:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 18:55 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:28:14 +0100, Paul wrote:
>
> > 4. The system for getting packages into other branches needs to be
> > easier. If I've put version 1.3.4 of package x into rawhide FE and
> > version 1.3.2 exists in FE5 and 1.2.4 in FE4, it should be 1.3.4 which
> > supercedes everything else - a fresh import should not be required. This
> > has the benefit of maintaining the older versions far simpler.
>
> I've read this paragraph thrice, but fail to understand it. :(

Say I take on an orphaned package which upstream is at version 1.3. The
orphaned version in FE 5 is 1.2.5 and for some reason, the version in FE
4 is 1.2. I build and commit 1.3 to rawhide and then add it to FE 5 and
FE 4. What would be nice is for the request not to do a new import, but
to drag the srpm from 1.3 and have that replace the versions in FE5 and
FE4 after ditching the existing versions.

Sorry if that was not clear - I am somewhat rushed today :-(

TTFN

Paul
--
"Wenn eine große Vision zu groß ist, kann sie dich töten - du überschreitest
deine Grenzen in der sicheren Überzeugung, den vor dir liegenden Weg zu