Becoming a sponsorer

Paul F. Johnson paul at
Wed Apr 19 09:30:19 UTC 2006

> It's not an architecture issue because it builds OK on my x86 box 
> but fails in mock on the very same x86 box. I thought at first it 
> was a missing buildreq but I can't think of anything appropriate to 
> add. So it's probably something to do with the mock environment 
> itself. Unfortunately the assertion failure is pretty unhelpful in 
> terms of diagnostics.

It certainly would point to a mock problem. Which architecture are you try to
get mock to build it as?
> > and change the make install to 
> > 
> > make DESTDIR=%{buildroot} install
> Huh? That's what it already is (except with the macro version of 
> "make" used)

Just removing the possibility of a macro problem
> > and you'll probably find that will work just fine. One thing that is puzzling
> > me is why you have the same export in two places. Surely when you run the
> > configure step that will remember what you've exported as it will be written
> > to a file somewhere in the BUILD/<package_name> directory.
> Not sure about this; this is an idiom I spotted in a few mono specs 
> I looked at whilst trying to figure out what was breaking. If the 
> configure script *doesn't* record the setting in the Makefile, then 
> the multiple exports would certainly be needed as the %build and 
> %install scripts are separate shell scripts.

Fair enough

> > Mono is a strange beast which (from what I can see) has little respect for
> > where things should be placed! ;-)
> Yeah, I noticed.

I normally work it like this to eliminate problems. Build with /usr/lib set
statically, do a basic build (%configure and make DESTDIR install without any
other parameters). If that builds, move it to my x86_64 box and build. If
that's happy then I try with mock.

With each build, it's tested to ensure things aren't broken[1].

Once the builds are happy like that, then I move it to mock.

Now, if the build fails (as has happened with monodevelop on quite a few
occassions), then I start looking at where it fails and check the makefile. If
it still fails then I hand code the %install step (which can be bloomin' long!)

If only mono packages were sane!



[1] The problem here is that I tend to have a large number of packages on my
test system, so I don't always pick up on missing deps (see my submission for

Get your free account now

More information about the fedora-extras-list mailing list