The system doesn't always work

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sun Apr 23 17:25:12 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 11:44 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:52:56 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > Yes please.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines  <-- I fail
> to find fedora-usermgmt in there. It's not mentioned in the Packaging
> Guidelines either.

Just to further make this point: You do not have to use fedora-usermgmt.
You can use it if you would like to, but it is NOT required. No review
should be held up solely on the inclusion of fedora-usermgmt.

I've considered making a policy of "no hardcoding UID/GID" in the spec,
but that is a different issue (and the package in question is not
hardcoding UID/GID). Since UID_MIN is 500, using useradd -r will not
stomp on the fedora-usermgmt packages for at least the next hundred+
fedora package that use it.

And no, I really don't want to get into another round of arguments over
this. There are valid reasons on both sides to use both mechanisms, so
I'm not going to force anyone to either mechanism, nor do I plan to make
either mechanism the "official" mechanism anytime soon.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!