RFC: FESCo Future

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 25 12:30:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 02:07:37PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> My point is: I sense not a single trace of democracy at RH and I sense
> not a trace of supervision/monitoring/control of the community over the
> boards inaugurated by RH.
>
> Some examples:
> * RH has killed the FF, without even informing the community in advance.
> (Now some projects are complaining about lack of funding - Could it be
> RH missed the aspect of using a "foundation as means of fundraising?)

What does that have to do with FESCO?

> * RH has proclaimed the FPB and has inaugurated the persons at their own
> will without consulting nor informing the community. They selecting a
> person as head we never saw in any Fedora Project before nor without
> thinking about this organs interaction with other Fedora Projects.
> (In politics such an incident would be called "palace revolution")

Again, what does that have to do with FESCO?

You seem to want to escalate issues with Fedora and it's governance as a whole
when all we're discussing at this point is Fedora Extras and how it should be
run.

Extras was around before either of those examples happened.  It's also the
largest community driven project within Fedora itself.  I believe (and I
could be mistaken here) that it is also the first official Fedora project
to be chaired by someone outside of Red Hat.(1)  My point is, Extras seems
to move along at it's own pace and the on-goings of how Red Hat is dealing
with things don't appear to have a large detrimental impact.

We're talking about how we, the Extras community, want to govern ourselves.
Leave Red Hat out of this discussion please.

josh

(1) Jesse Keating is the chair of the Legacy project and was so before being
hired by Red Hat.  However I believe it got official Fedora project status
after Extras did.