ATrpms' kernel modules (kmdls)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Apr 26 23:51:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 15:11 +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:

> I not a kernel module packager, so i can't comment on the methology, but
> from a user perspective the most important feature is automatic updating
> of kernel-modules when new versions of the kernel is installed by yum,
> this is working great with the madwifi,ntfs,nvidia drivers in the livna
> fc5 repository. if kmdls can be used in the same way, then fine with me
> for a users perspective.

I would say it works well, not great.
Last kernel update - it found and installed the new madwifi driver for
me, but it removed the old madwifi driver - even though the kernel it
was for is still installed.

It needs a yum plugin to not remove kernel modules for the running
kernel when a new kernel module is installed.

Also - my initial yum update found new kernel but livna had not released
the new drivers yet (a few hours later they had). It would be nice if a
yum plugin could tell yum to ignore the kernel if additional installed
kernel modules are not yet available. The potential problem is if yum is
run as a service, kernel gets updated but modules are not because they
weren't available yet. The user reboots at some point, and now is
running a kernel without modules he needs and has to reboot into the old
kernel.