weekly "new pacakges in Extras" (Was: Fedora Package Announcement List Split)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Apr 27 13:32:44 UTC 2006

Why a private message on this subject?

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 02:00:56PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 12:01 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm wondering if we should post a weekly "this new packages have entered
> > > Fedora Extras during the last week" to that list.
> >
> > That's a good idea. But why weekly and not when they enter the repo
> > (e.g. daily)?
> ROTFL.

There's nothing funny, you can get off the floor now.

> AFAICT, this exactly is what the situation had been sofar. Some almighty
> God at FESCo has decided to waste his and our time on a new mailing
> list. ;)

No, you can't compare the build report with the rawhide reports. The
build reports simply have a list of built packages, new and updated
thrown in a one liner alike with no changelog or even summary
whatsoever.

It's of no use to me to see that there was a package called
abracatabra built unless I'm the packager/reviewer. If a new package
enters the system I (as a user) want to see what that package does w/o
guessing from the name. And I want to be able to separate new from
updates. For an update I'd like to know why it was updated, so the
first lines of the changelog are nice to look at.

I think the rawhide format is just what I'd like to see, and maybe the
same scripts can be reused. That also in the spirit of core/extras
convergence politics.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net