package EOL

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Apr 29 10:33:08 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 10:07 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> I disagree, one one side we already have to much repos as is, and on the
> other side some repos (the repo that should not be named) really need a
> a split,

Splitting it will not solve anything because of repoclosure - some
packages will depend upon packages in the other split repos, so you will
have to have them all configured anyway.

There's already loss of functionality because of the repo splits we do
have. wpa_supplicant does not support my atheros card because the
drivers are in repo XXX. sox does not play mp3 because libmad/lame are
in XXX.

Both of those packages (wpa_supplicant and sox) belong in core, and
madwifi and lame/libmad can not be in core. There's no way around that.
Thus they have to be built with less than ideal capabilities in order to
have repoclosure.

But to split up XXX into several repositories based upon licensing - you
are going to end up with packages depending upon packages in the other
repos, so to have repoclosure - users will have to have them all
configured and turned on anyway. Thus - it makes sense to have them all
in one place, and have that place be in the country with the most
liberal software laws we can find.