RFC: Fedora Extras EOL Policy

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Apr 14 16:41:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:06:59 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > Why not? If a part of the community is willing to maintain a package, they
> > > should be able to do it.
> >
> > That would be the "some do, some don't" playground.
> Yes, and where is the problem?

The risk of FE becoming the infamous dumping ground of poorly maintained
packages.

> FE is a volunteered effort, so this is inevitable, even in FC(current).

It's not black and white. By more and clear policies, volunteers can be
given an environment in which it possible [and easier] to contribute where
help is needed. And help is needed where bugzilla response times are high,
where packagers lack test machines, where packagers discontinue support
for legacy branches, where orphans are created, ...

> > We try to move away from Fedora Extras being a second class citizen.
>
> And how is this problem related to FE-EOL?

See the other replies. FC has a well-defined lifespan. FE has not. Fedora
Legacy is a project with objectives. Point me to the place in the Wiki
where I find the FE project objectives with regard to both the active and
legacy releases.