RFC: Fedora Extras EOL Policy

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Apr 14 18:37:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:14:38 +0100, Paul wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 18:55 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:28:14 +0100, Paul wrote:
> >
> > > 4. The system for getting packages into other branches needs to be
> > > easier. If I've put version 1.3.4 of package x into rawhide FE and
> > > version 1.3.2 exists in FE5 and 1.2.4 in FE4, it should be 1.3.4 which
> > > supercedes everything else - a fresh import should not be required. This
> > > has the benefit of maintaining the older versions far simpler.
> >
> > I've read this paragraph thrice, but fail to understand it. :(
>
> Say I take on an orphaned package which upstream is at version 1.3. The
> orphaned version in FE 5 is 1.2.5 and for some reason, the version in FE
> 4 is 1.2. I build and commit 1.3 to rawhide and then add it to FE 5 and
> FE 4. What would be nice is for the request not to do a new import, but
> to drag the srpm from 1.3 and have that replace the versions in FE5 and
> FE4 after ditching the existing versions.
>
> Sorry if that was not clear - I am somewhat rushed today :-(

You can simply copy the files within CVS from "devel" to the other branch
directories. Or download the devel src.rpm and cvs-import.sh it if it is
fully compatible and needs to modifications (e.g. BuildRequires).

If, however, you mean to add some "magic" which takes the src.rpm built
for Rawhide and sends this to the buildsys in order to build binaries for
FE5 and older, this only complicates the maintenance. Who would add this
to CVS? Who would ensure that the tags within CVS are proper, so at a
later point you could return to old versions?