Contribution to Extras (an update)

Victor Skovorodnikov vic_sk at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 22:59:53 UTC 2006

Hi all,

 Okay, so between the not so related to programming full-time work, I've made some improvements to my 2D shooter game "Maximum Destruction" AND have been in touch with Mr. Paul Riche III (original SC2 designer) and UR Quan Masters development team.

 Both of them allowed me to use the SC2 game images in Fedora's "Extras" portion for free and non-commercial purposes only.

 I've added sound FX to my game, expanded game area, and did some more debugging.  The improved version is on my site at:

 www.victorsk.webhop.org

 My next step will be to add menus and preferences using wxWidgets.  Please feel free to download and play the current version.  I welcome any ideas/feedback you may have to improve it - I want it to be the best possible version for the "Extras" and any advice on how to improve it is certainly welcomed.  Thank you.

 I'll keep you infomed of my progress,
 Victor.

Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi> wrote: On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 13:20 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >> Greetings,  I've just finished a 2D shooter game "Space Invaders" [...]
> >> The game can be downloaded as either source or binary from my site at:
> >> www.victorsk.webhop.org
> > [snip]
> >
> > FYI, Star Control 2 (which you mention on the game's site as the source for
> > your graphics) hasn't been forgotten. It has been GPLed and renamed to "Ur-Quan
> > Masters" because of trademark licensing issues (the people who own the game's
> > code only had a license to the "Star Control" trademark and so couldn't use it
> > for the GPL release), and it's even available in Extras (yum install uqm). In
> > other words, you're lucky because this means you'll probably get away with
> > "borrowing" its graphics for your game.
> >
> >         Kevin Kofler
>
> Good catch, Victor this does mean that your code must be licensed under
> the GPL.

>From uqm's COPYING:

    The content -- voiceovers, dialogue, graphics, and music -- are
    copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 2002 Toys for Bob, Inc. or their
    respective creators.  The content may be copied freely as part of
    a distribution of The Ur-Quan Masters.  All other rights are reserved.

    (Side Note: The content will become more freely redistributable
     and reusable in later releases.)

Note "as part of a distribution of The Ur-Quan Masters".