Contribution to Extras (an update)

Michael J Knox michael at knox.net.nz
Sat Apr 15 01:10:42 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 15:59 -0700, Victor Skovorodnikov wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Okay, so between the not so related to programming full-time work,
>> I've made some improvements to my 2D shooter game "Maximum
>> Destruction" AND have been in touch with Mr. Paul Riche III (original
>> SC2 designer) and UR Quan Masters development team.
>>
>> Both of them allowed me to use the SC2 game images in Fedora's
>> "Extras" portion for free and non-commercial purposes only.
>
> Thats incompatible with Fedora packaging guidelines. A written license
> should be included that is Free and/or open source is required.

My understanding was that you only *had* to provide a written license if
the upstream supplied one. I could be wrong tho....

My libedit package is an example of this, no upstream license, but its
been approved and is currently packaged with out a license file.

I would recommend that Victor requests a license to be provided in the
future (I did this for libedit), but the written license is only
required if one is already supplied.

Michael