RFC: Fedora Extras EOL Policy

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sat Apr 15 08:12:57 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 18:41 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> Yes, and where is the problem?
>> The risk of FE becoming the infamous dumping ground of poorly maintained
>> packages.
> Face it: It already partially is - Such is the situation, no reason to
> complain about :-)

That is not entirely fair, there always will be periods when a
maintainer doesn't have time. The current if a maintainer doesn't do a
timely rebuild for a new Release orphan it, is one mechanism for shaking
out the real orphans and maybe we need another mechanism next to thayt,
but saying that FE is a dumping ground is unfair. Debian has far more
ancient packages (using ancient versus upstream as a maintainence
measurement here) then FE. Also even core has packages which lack
maintainance by this standard check out lm_sensors for example.

Regards,

Hans