Contribution to Extras (an update)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Apr 17 16:30:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 08:45 -0700, Victor Skovorodnikov wrote:
> HI all,
>
> Could somebody please tell me the exact wording that should be
> provided with the license please?
Nobody will be able to tell you - It would depend on various details[1].

If you are a package's files copyright owner you will have to chose the
license you want your files to be put under.

If you are not a package's files copyright owner, but if the original
copyright owner granted you a license allowing relicensing, you can
chose another license under the restrictions he granted to you (E.g.
many BSD-like licensed files can be relicensed under the GPL).

In all other cases, all you can do is to replicate the original wording
(word by word) the copyright owner uses in his license. If the original
files are not accompanied or do not carry inlined licensing terms, the
package's licensing has to be considered unclear, which will probably
result in your package to be "not distributable".

Ralf

[1] But as I said before: Unless you are explicitly relicensing a
package, this file's contents is legally irrelevant and void. The
original files' copyrights and licensing terms overrule whatever you
would put into your file.