RFC: Fedora Extras EOL Policy

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Apr 17 21:39:01 UTC 2006

> If someone uses Fedora Core 5, they can be certain that the content will
> be maintained up until point X, and after that it will be looked at for
> security issues by the existing Fedora Legacy team (which they can join.)
>
> With Extras... it's 'maybe, depending on the package'. Do you really expect
> someone to look at a web page that has maintenance status for 3000 packages?

Not really. What I want is that each maintainer decide for his package what
kind of maintainance he does. And only if he does none (and nobody steped up)
the package should be taken by the fedora extra legacy team which may have
an homogenous maintainance goal, or not.

For the current extra the maintainance mode is inhomogenous, some packages
are updated a lot, other aren't, some are unmaintained, maybe for some there
are only security fixes backports. Is it a problem? No.

Having an homogenous maintainance mode for extras packages for end of life
fedora core distros seems to me to be an unnecessary goal which in my
opinion puts constraints on the maintainers witout benefit. It also puts
some constraints on the users, as some users may want different kind of
maintainance for different packages, and if they agree with the maintainer on
that this would only benefit them.

I am not opposed at all to another repository with only security fixes
backported to fedora extras packages, that would be great. But I don't
think it is what fedora extra packages for eol fedora core should be. In my
opinion it should basically be the same than fedora extras for living
fedora core distros: same infrastructure, same requirements, same
guidelines.

--
Pat