Becoming a sponsorer

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 08:29:10 UTC 2006

> On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 07:37 +0100, Paul wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Given what I know about mono and how to package it and wotnot, I think
> > I'm up to the job of becoming a sponsor on it (there seems to be only me
> > and Chris Aillon who does things with mono - I'm sorry if anyone else is
> > and I've missed them - but there is a shortage of peeps who know about
> > these things).
>
> Perhaps you could take a look at this and suggest what might be
> wrong:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-March/msg02085.html

By the looks of it (and this is based *purely* on a cursory look over it)
there is a problem with an assertion. Now, given it builds fine on a (I'm
guessing) an x86 box and not on any other architecture, the problem is most
likely down to where the buildsys is looking for packages.

Personally, I'd add at the top

%define _libdir /usr/lib, remove the speed up you have for the build (removal
of the tracking dependancies) and change the make install to

make DESTDIR=%{buildroot} install

and you'll probably find that will work just fine. One thing that is puzzling
me is why you have the same export in two places. Surely when you run the
configure step that will remember what you've exported as it will be written
to a file somewhere in the BUILD/<package_name> directory.

Mono is a strange beast which (from what I can see) has little respect for
where things should be placed! ;-)

> > What do I need to do to be reach such a high position?
>
> Be seen to give good advice on a regular basis.

On the mono sides of things, I think I'm doing okay then :-)