RFC: FESCo Future

Andreas Bierfert andreas.bierfert at lowlatency.de
Mon Apr 24 07:20:04 UTC 2006

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:26:35 -0400
"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> With 1 year appointment terms I'd rather see elections of half of
> fesco every 6 months.  I don't think potentially turning over the
> whole committee in a single election is a good idea for continuity of
> purpose or long term planning issues.

Yes this probably is a better idea then having a potentially new committee
every year or so. Even with possible reelections which I think should be fine
here as well.

For the I think stuff should be automated. I agree that this is some work in
the beginning but it should be easy enough to write up a webbased system which
does this stuff more or less automatically for us.

So what about the future for FESCO? I think what FESCO needs is this:

- clear defined mission statement(s)
- clear defined boundaries of power (what can 'they' do, what should 'they' do,
  whats a must do)

Not that FESCOs job was not good or anything, thanks everybody for doing it,
but as mentioned in other mails in this thread: I think that some people here
in the community did not like the way FESCO was brought into power and if we
really go democratic about it this time around acceptance will be a lot better
and acceptance meaning both ways: from FESCO and towards FESCO. This is in
general something we all need to work on: Not seeing FE as a played with
project but as a player ;). Remember: We all do stuff on FE in our free time
and this does not always give the best results that we could have. It is
natural that some people do more and some people do less and I think we should
really start to feel as a community who accepts this. Not meaning that
everything you do here is ok but maybe having better communication an things.
Not that this has been really bad in the future but I certainly could be
improved and stressed.

Ah well before I write to much about this: I am all for a democratic clear
defined new FESCO. Thanks to everybody that was, is and probably will be
member of FESCO and of course to those who get nominated (Hm do we get cool
advertisement gadgets from them so we give them our vote? :P).

-Andreas
--
Andreas Bierfert               | http://awbsworld.de      | GPG: C58CF1CB
andreas.bierfert at lowlatency.de | http://lowlatency.de     | signed/encrypted