RFC: FESCo Future

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Mon Apr 24 13:17:41 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 08:53:09PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> "Whom"?  --  The current FESCo has the problem that some people are
> quite inactive. So I (and some others, too) want to lay the hurdle to
> get into FESCo a bit higher to have more active members in the future.
> Some quotes from the IRC-Meeting in that context
> - "I think we should have people that 1) show up for meetings 2) are
> active leaders in Extras."
> - "I think merit is a good measure of who belongs in FESCO."
> - "if people want to join FESCO, they should write their own mission
> statement, goals, objectives, etc."
> Current plan to achieve it: Everyone (also current FESCo members!) who
> wants to be member of the next FESCo needs to nominate him/herself on
> fedora-extras-list; in that self-nomination-mail everyone needs to lay
> down some plans what he or she wants to achieve when elected for FESCo.
> Of course all fedora extras maintainers are allowed to nominate other
> people for FESCo -- but the potential candidates still have to do lay
> down their plans own their own.

One small question:  Should people that are on the Fedora Project Board
also be allowed in FESCO?  I personally don't have an issue with that,
but at first glance that would seem to be largely pointless.

And as a side question, what role does FESCO have in conjunction with the
Project Board, if any?

> - How is the Chair elected?
> We have two options here afaics:
> -- the new FESCo elects a (new) chair
> -- the one with most votes in the election is nominated as FESCo-Chair;
> if he does not want to do the job the one with the seconds most votes
> gets the job offered, ....

I think election of the chair by the FESCO members seems the way to go.
Whether or not that will work out, who knows.

josh