RFC: FESCo Future

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Apr 25 17:13:22 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 08:53:09PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> - How many members should FESCo have?
>
> FESCO currently has 17 members. The general consensus is that the number
> of members should remain odd. Thrown into the ring during the last
> IRC-Meeting were 9, 11, 13, 15 or 17 members.
> Reasons for a smaller group: More people make it harder to make
> decisions.
> Reasons for a big group: More people can make more things happen and the
> load per member is a bit lower.

given the thread's development as an example, I think less people with
faster communication and decision making time is better, otherwise you
may end up like Debian where important decisions are stalled by
endless threads ("less" as an absolute measure, I'm not comparing to
any specific number like 17 or 9).

If there is fear of too high workload per person then some work
activities of fesco should be checked whether they belong
elsewhere.

If fesco feels on some specific issue at hand that it is too small in
numbers to make a decision it can always escalate to the next larger
entity to get more opinions like it is happening now.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net