Dead Horse (was Re: package EOL)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Apr 28 12:20:57 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 14:04 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:

> <off-topic>
> To me it is the same with static versus shared libs. The fact that
> some uses of static libraries are broken, and that in some cases static
> don't make sense at all shouldn't prevent to ship static libs in the other
> cases for the users that have a relevant use of thoses libs.
> </off-topic>

While it is a dead horse, I agree with you.

Static libraries are useful to some, particularly those who need to
build something to support several versions of several distributions.

Not shipping them means those they are useful to have to use a different
distro, or build the packages on their own.

I understand that _packages_ in a distro specific repository _should_
avoid linking statically - but oh well.