Security Response Team / EOL

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Fri Apr 28 13:48:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Patrice Dumas wrote:

> > Branches for new packages in CVS are not created for Distributions
> > that are in Maintenance state. FESCo can approve exceptions of this rule
> > if there are good reasons for it. The official package maintainers are
>
> I completly disagree with that. If a user don't want new packages that
> entered extras while in maintainance state he shouldn't install new
> packages. In my opinion the maintainer could be able to add new packages
> for distributions in maintainance state, if he is confident that he
> will maintain it.

And I disagree with your disagreement ;-)

If you're still adding new packages to maintenance mode branches, what
makes them different from non-maintenance mode? Packagers who want to
build new stuff for maintenance branches should do it outside the Fedora
build infrastructure -- the whole point of maintenance mode is to reduce
the amount of infrastructure work needed to keep Fedora going to something
manageable with the amount of resources Fedora has.

People who want new packages should upgrade. Maintenance mode is there
only as a security / bugfix only courtesy for those who can't upgrade. We
want to encourage upgrading as much as possible, however

later,
chris