How forbidden is RPATH?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Apr 30 10:24:12 UTC 2006

> E: rapidsvn binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/rapidsvn ['/usr/lib64']
>
> I have tried absolutely everything I can think of to get rid of this.
> Either it doesn't work or it breaks the build.

I am really unsure, but it may come from the libtool --mode=install
for rapidsvn which doesn't remove a rpath that was inserted before.
There is this warning in the build log:

  /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c 'rapidsvn' '/var/tmp/rapidsvn-0.9.1-2-root-dumas/usr/bin/rapidsvn'
libtool: install: warning: `/home/dumas/RPM-fc/BUILD/rapidsvn-0.9.1/src/svncpp/libsvncpp.la' has not been installed in `/usr/lib'

It may be the symptom of such an issue. It seems to me that libtool does
some magic with shared libs that are part of the package at build time,
ie not installed at build time.

However in rapidsvn, libsvncpp doesn't appears to be a library from
the package, as it is linked like a normal library with rapidsvn
(with rapidsvn_LDFLAGS=-Lsvncpp, rapidsvn_LDADD= -lsvncpp). Therefore
libtool don't know that svncpp is included in the package and cannot
do all its magic.

To check that, you can try replacing (in src/Makefile.am)
rapidsvn_LDFLAGS=-Lsvncpp
rapidsvn_LDADD= -lsvncpp \
        $(SVN_LIBS) \
        $(NEON_LIBS) \
        $(APR_LIBS) \
        $(WX_LIBS)
rapidsvn_DEPENDENCIES=svncpp/libsvncpp.la

with
rapidsvn_LDADD= svncpp/libsvncpp.la \
        $(SVN_LIBS) \
        $(NEON_LIBS) \
        $(APR_LIBS) \
        $(WX_LIBS)

and see if it helps (it is also more concise).

It may be completly unrelated, however ;-).

--
Pat