Really strange permissions issue

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Aug 5 09:40:32 UTC 2006

Hi,

Bit of background.

As some know, I maintain quite a few packages and review even more. My
old buildsys was a rescue job from a skip with a P2-600(ish) in. Last
week, it finally died, but the drives were fine.

I replaced the drives into a P4-700 box, fired up and all was well. The
system booted up and I could log in locally to all three users on the
system (paul, build and su).

Normally, I don't log into the box, I ssh onto it. Tested that and it
worked as well. Great.

Now I had to do an updated (the old box would die when updating). ssh to
the box, su, yum -y update. yum complained saying it couldn't find a
valid repo for extras or development.

Okay. Logged into the box directly (same user, build), yum -y update -
same result. Logged out. Logged in as paul, started X, ran yumex and all
was well.

Next time I updated. I directly logged in as build, tried running yum,
same result. Logged out, logged in as paul, yum worked perfectly. At
this point, I disabled selinux just incase.

Rebooted the buildsys.

Next test, ssh to the buildsys as paul. yum works fine.

Tried user build - same result - can't find repo.

This leads me to suspect a problem with user build, but I'm at a loss as
to how to fix the problem. Any suggestions? I need to get user build
working again as it's holding up a number of package reviews (as well as
me submitting some more)

TTFN

Paul
--
Wenn sie denken, dass die bildung teuer ist, versuchen sie ignoranz