Proper Source0 URL for sf.net hosted projects?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Aug 14 11:03:48 UTC 2006

PFJ wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I was wondering what the correct Source0 URL for sourceforge.net hosted
>> projects is?
>>
>> I've seen both:
>> http://dl.sf.net/<project-name>/<file-name>
>> and:
>> http://dl.sf.net/sourceforge/<project-name>/<file-name>
>>
>> And they both seem to work, however I believe that the first form
>> working is a matter of luck (hitting the right mirror) and the second
>> form always works, is this correct?
>
> Yes - one points to the other. Personally, I always list the URL of a
> mirror (in my case, kent) as SF has been known to fall dead when it
> comes to redirecting or getting files directly from their own server.

I've done that in the past too, but sometimes mirrors go away, and not
all mirrors carry all files all of the time (strange but true).

>> Maybe we should document this somewhere?
>
> I'd actually say that the packager lists the mirror as the URL rather
> than sf.net

Because of the reasons given above I disagree :) Still I think a common
rule, or atleast an advicable way of doing this for the whole of FE
would be good.

Regards,

Hans