Problems with tagging

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Mon Aug 14 18:19:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:00:57 +0200, Roland Wolters wrote:

> Once upon a time Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:06:54 +0200, Roland Wolters wrote:
> > > So, what should I do now? I tried the same steps as you did, and the
> > > result is:
> > >
> > > $ TAG_OPTS=-F make tag
> > > cvs tag -F -c ktorrent-2_0-3_fc6
> > > For more information on using the Fedora source code repositories,
> > > please visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UsingCvs
> > > ? i386
> > > ? ktorrent-2.0
> > > ? ktorrent-2.0-2.src.rpm
> > > ERROR: creating module-wide tags is prohibited
> > > cvs tag: Pre-tag check failed
> > > ERROR: The tag ktorrent-2_0-3_fc6 is already applied on a different
> > > branch ERROR: You can not forcibly move tags between branches
> > > cvs tag: Pre-tag check failed
> > > cvs [tag aborted]: correct the above errors first!
> > > make: *** [tag] Fehler 1
> >
> > Restart at a fresh checkout?
>
> You mean with a previous "cvs co ktorrent" from my cvs root directory?

Yes.

> I did
> it, like you did, with cvs co ktorrent ; cd ktorrent/devel

Well, your output contains working files. I don't want to guess what else
might confuse cvs. Further, moving existing tags with option -F doesn't
work reliably always, particularly if all files are tagged already
correctly. It is really trivial to just increase the release version,
commit the change, then run "make tag". Since you write you've tried that
earlier and it failed, try again on a fresh check-out. If it still fails
to tag your files, you do a systematic mistake somewhere.