crack attack trademark issues / ok for Fe?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Aug 2 13:18:05 UTC 2006

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 11:08:33PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Now the game play / mechanics may be copied from Tetris Attack, but that
>> is not a problem (IANAL). game play / mechanics cannot be trademarked or
>> copyrighted *. What could be a problem is if the game had copied more
>> then only game mechanics, for example have very similar graphics,
>> identical levels (not relevant here as the levels are not mazes or
>> something similar), etc.
>
> Right. This hasn't stopped the owners of the rights to the original Tetris
> game from suing people. They're probably wrong, but most people just cave to
> avoid the hassle.

I know that the owners of the rights to the original Tetris are sue
happy. I'm wondering what point you're trying to make here: that it is a
good thing that crack-attack is not in FE because of this sue happines,
or are you trying to say that indeed crack-attack should be fine for FE,
but that the sue happiness worries you?

Regards,

Hans