Overriding kernel modules

Xavier Bachelot xb_ml at kelkoo.net
Tue Aug 8 20:40:30 UTC 2006

Hi,

There is a feature in FC4/FC5 kernels that allow to override modules
from them by placing files in /lib/modules/$kernel_version/updates.
There is also a policy in FE that prohibit replacement of a Core
package. In the case of this feature, this is not exactly a replacement.

Would this be allowed in FE ?
And if yes, how should that be packaged ? This is not covered in the
packaging kernel modules guidelines.

Just for a little background, I'm interested in this feature because I
use a development version (openchrome) of the X driver for via chipsets
(unichrome/unichrome pro) that requires more recent drm kernel modules
than the ones in upstream kernel to work to their full extend.

Regards,

Xavier