Overriding kernel modules

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed Aug 9 01:39:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 22:40 +0200, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is a feature in FC4/FC5 kernels that allow to override modules
> from them by placing files in /lib/modules/$kernel_version/updates.
> There is also a policy in FE that prohibit replacement of a Core
> package. In the case of this feature, this is not exactly a replacement.

If it's a newer version of a module that already exists in the base
kernel package, then yes it is a replacement.

> Would this be allowed in FE ?

IMHO, no.

> And if yes, how should that be packaged ? This is not covered in the
> packaging kernel modules guidelines.

Probably because it was never intended to be allowed.

> Just for a little background, I'm interested in this feature because I
> use a development version (openchrome) of the X driver for via chipsets
> (unichrome/unichrome pro) that requires more recent drm kernel modules
> than the ones in upstream kernel to work to their full extend.

That's replacing Core modules, and therefore not allowed.

Please don't interpret the above to mean you can't personally do it
yourself or even provide a third party repo for this.  However, it does
not belong in Extras.

josh