FE Package Status of Aug 10, 2006

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Aug 10 14:58:32 UTC 2006

Christian Iseli wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:39:35 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> How do we handle these, blacklist them?
>
> Maybe.
>
> Taking a quick look, I see that most packages you described as
> (library) actually do have the keyword "library" in the owners.list
> description, so for those I could take that into account.

You couldalso check the actual rpm contents, and if there is nothing
under /[s]bin or /usr/[s]bin then not complain, I don't know hoe hard
that would be though. The taking a look at owners.list descriptions
definetly is a good start!

> The cmdline tools are more problematic...

I agree, not even looking at the rpms helps there, which leads to the
conclusion we really need a blacklist. Still the script could/should be
made a bit smarter like using owners.list descriptions to keep the size
of the blacklist down.

> (As a side note: I tend to like cmdline tools, and would like
> to see them listed in comps.xml anyway...  but maybe that's just me)

I like them too, but they are for power users and comps is (AFAIK) for
the "ordinary" end user, so I think the current policy of not putting
them in comps.xml is correct.

Regards,

Hans