Planning next version of rpmdevtools

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Aug 11 06:01:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 00:12 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>
>> Rename scripts (with appropriate backwards compat symlinks for a while):
>> * fedora-extract -> extractarchive
>
> After having used the new package locally from CVS for a while, my left
> hand already protests against this change, it says "extracta<TAB>" is
> too hard to type repeatedly and shorter variants before the <TAB> are
> not unique here :).  So unless someone is aware of a conflict this would
> cause, I'm going to re-rename it as "xvf" - see top of the script for
> where that name comes from.

Mm. "xvf" is totally obscure as a name (well .. like 'sed' isn't :)

Since these tools deal with rpm's, how about renaming them with rpm-
prefix? Would keep them in a separate namespace which is good IMHO (we
have enough of too generic names in /usr/bin; "fixfiles" huh...) and point
into right direction wrt their intended use (unlike the earlier fedora-
prefix).

 	- Panu -