comps and gtk

Rick L Vinyard Jr rvinyard at cs.nmsu.edu
Sat Aug 19 21:31:55 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote:
>> * does it makes sense to have some packages in more than one group? For
>>   example I put grads is in 'Graphics', I think it also could be in
>>   'Engineering and Scientific'.
>>

> The problem with doing so is that it can lead to a confusing UI in some
> cases.  We've tried (hard) to get to where packages are only listed for
> one component.  I'd like to try to stay there.

I see a real disconnect between a policy like the above, the current
names, and the current usage.

Take a look at the following two categories:
    <id>gnome-software-development</id>
    <name>GNOME Software Development</name>
    <description>Install these packages in order to develop GTK+ and
GNOME graphical applications.</description>

    <id>xfce-software-development</id>
    <name>XFCE Software Development</name>
    <description>Install these packages in order to develop GTK+ and
XFCE graphical applications.</description>

In the former, there are packages such as gazpacho, gtkmm24-devel and
anjuta, et. al. In the latter there are gtk2-devel, glade2, glib2-devel,
et. al.

I think there will need to be one of two changes:
     1) Allow gtk2-devel to be in both GNOME and XFCE development categories
     2) Create a GTK+ and language bindings development category