[Possible Spam] Re: SPF failures nuke fedora-extras* msgs from redhat.com

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Aug 21 14:04:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 04:42:55PM +0200, Paul Wouters wrote:
> > I wondered why I was not receiving any fedora-extras messages for a week.
> > So after tweaking my procmail rules, I found it all email was deleted
> > as spam, because it scores "SPFFAIL".
>
> Ow! Never treat SPFFAIL that way -- that's not what SPF is for.

First, I believe this is stock spamassassin rpm packaging, so that would
then be a fedora bug. But second, AFAIK, it *is* what SPF is for. If a
machine claiming to send on behalf of a domain is not listed in a TXT
record for that domain, then it is a roque sender and therefor fake,
and therefor should be dropped.

Paul