Re: [Possible Spam] Re: SPF failures nuke fedora-extras* msgs from redhat.com

Paul Wouters wrote:
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Matthew Miller wrote:

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 04:42:55PM +0200, Paul Wouters wrote:
I wondered why I was not receiving any fedora-extras messages for a week.
So after tweaking my procmail rules, I found it all email was deleted
as spam, because it scores "SPFFAIL".
Ow! Never treat SPFFAIL that way -- that's not what SPF is for.

First, I believe this is stock spamassassin rpm packaging, so that would
then be a fedora bug. But second, AFAIK, it *is* what SPF is for. If a
machine claiming to send on behalf of a domain is not listed in a TXT
record for that domain, then it is a roque sender and therefor fake,
and therefor should be dropped.

Paul

stock spamassassin does SPF only if you install the optional perl-Mail-SPF-Query from Fedora Extras.

http://david.woodhou.se/why-not-spf.html
There is a good reason why we don't enable SPF by default in Fedora. It is not particularly useful at protecting you against spam.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com