OT:? flash used in redhat website

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 25 19:08:18 UTC 2006

Sander Hoentjen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure where i should post this, so i'll start in the extras list.
>
> I am subscribed to Red Hat Magazine. In the latest edition I got, "Red
> Hat Magazine August: How to set up a home web server", there is a link
> to "Kids are alright" ( which leads to
> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/022aug06/features/rhh/ ).
> On the bottom of the page there is a link to "Watch the
> slideshow" (which leads to
> http://www.redhat.com/v/swf/rhm022_rhh/slideshow_rhh.html ).
> I am using Fedora rawhide x86_64, and am not aware of any flash player
> for my platform (yes there is gnash but it's packaging is in progress,
> not finished yet). Are there any available? If not, I find the choice
> for having the slideshow in flash kind of strange, since there are other
> ways to have a slideshow that can be played with software that is
> readily available in Fedora (and my guess is RHEL suffers from the
> same?)
>
> Sorry if this is off-topic, please let me know what would be the right
> place to ask this question.

Yes, This is offtopic. However you can try feedback to the editor.  We
bugged everyone to make sure the all the videos that Red Hat hosts are
available in multiple formats and atleast one of them is a open patent
unencumbered format but there doesnt seem to be a easy way to author
good screencasts with audio in a open format that wouldnt require the
audience (which goes beyond the typical Linux people) to download
players or codecs. Thats quite unfortunate.

Rahul