Adding missing license files

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 09:22:39 UTC 2006

On 27/08/06, Anthony Green <green at redhat.com> wrote:
> In a review, I was told:
>
> MUST: If (and only if) the source package includes the text of the
> license(s) in its own file, then that file, containing the text of the
> license(s) for the package must be included in %doc.
>
> Now the package's README includes the text below.  I added a GPLv2
> COPYING file as SOURCE1 and installed it as a %doc file.  Is this really
> wrong?  It's hard to imagine why.

It's likely that the missing COPYING file from the tarball is an
oversight upstream - the best way of fixing this is to file a bug with
the upstream maintainer saying that the COPYING file is missing, and
politely asking them to add it to the tarball of the next release. In
my experience, maintainers are usually very responsive to this.

Jonathan.