coverity code checker in Extras

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Aug 30 18:11:16 UTC 2006

TM> what is it really, what is going to happen if we accept their
TM> offer? Will every package in Extras be scanned?

I don't think their technology would support that; as far as I know
they can't do anything with Perl or Python or the like.

What I find to be of more concern is what maintainers are expected to
do with that information.  In most cases all we'd be able to do is
pass the reports upstream, which I suppose would be OK but might be a
bit much to ask some maintainers (i.e. the ones with 50+ packages) to
handle.  Ideally Coverity would just deal directly with upstream and
extras wouldn't need to be involved.

 - J<