On Debian and Fedora experiences

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Dec 7 00:26:24 UTC 2006

a.badger at gmail.com (Toshio Kuratomi) writes:

> - Generally I want Suggests/Recommends installed to get the full
> experience.  So I have Suggests: 1
> - I don't have bluetooth on my machine -- I uninstall the bluetooth
> stack.
> - I install a new calendaring program which has the ability to sync with
> a cellphone using bluetooth.  The package has a "Suggests:
> bluetooth-stack" type thingy.  That reinstalls the bluetooth stack.
> - I uninstall bluetooth.
> - I upgrade the calendaring program and the package manager sees
> suggests again -- it reinstalls bluetooth.
> - I uninstall bluetooth.
> - Repeat.
>
> Perhaps the dep solver would have to keep track of which suggests it has
> already installed once.

Should be already available. 'smart' knows the following flags:

  lock          - Flagged packages will not be removed, if they
                  are currently installed, nor installed, if they
                  are currently available.

Dunno, how far/if the 'Requires(hint):' stuff is supported (which should
ask for confirmation in interactive mode and ignore/install packages
depending on a cli/setup option).

Enrico