On Debian and Fedora experiences

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 09:04:23 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 21:46 +0000, Matej Cepl wrote:
> > Toshio Kuratomi scripst:
> > > How do we address this use case in a sane automated fashion:
> >
> > aptitude (not apt-get) in Debian remembers somewhere which packages were
> > installed just to satisfy dependencies (this bit could be edited later,
> > BTW)
>
> Keep in mind this means keeping yet another package database to track
> more state for things on or off the system and the intent of the user at
> the time they last changed state.
>
> It's possible but we'd need to make sure this is wired into how the
> installer works, too. And did I mention it is yet another package
> database?

However, the scenario:
1. let try the xxx package to see if it is useful
2. yum install xxx
3. yyy and zzz are installed as deps
4. ok, xxx is not that useful after all
5. yum remove xxx
6. yyy and zzz are still there

seems pretty familiar to me. I usually resort to /var/log/yum.log to
have the list of packages to uninstall...

Now I have a naive question: does it need a yet another package
database to remove, together with xxx, each package on which xxx
depends, under the constrain that xxx has to be the ONLY package
requiring it?