Mass rebuilds

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Dec 10 13:40:45 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 07:13:16PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >[...]
> > The point is: Keep the given man power of contributors to being
> > creative, therefore automate as much a possible.

I did the "scratch repo" rebuilds before FC6 - that proved useful, but
of course no one ran the packages I built.

> Agreed. Thus I think we should work towards something like this:
>
> "If the maintainer of foo updates foo to a newer version with a
> different API/ABI then he should request rebuilds of all packages that
> this update might break."

FWIW, SuSE's build system tracks the tree of BRs, and if one changes
higher in the tree, everything below that gets bumped and rebuilt
automatically.  Yes, it's more CPU cycles and rawhide-equivalent
bandwidth, but it's not inconceivable.  BTW, there's a new Extras
x86_64/i386/noarch? builder coming online, which should help with
the package build speed...  Using this kind of setup, I've rebuilt all
of Core+Extras in <30 hours.  Not saying we should do this daily, just
that it's possible...

--
Matt Domsch
Software Architect