Howto print message on rpm install?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Dec 26 13:55:03 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt schrieb:
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 08:37:18 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
>> If I need to echo a message on rpm  install, would 'echo message...' in
>> postinstall section be the best way?
> No. It disturbes the output of tools like Yum. And it is not seen during
> automated (nightly) updates.
> Better is to add a clear comment in the %changelog.

+1, and/or a special "README.Fedora" file in %doc

I more and more think we should officially disallow the output from
%{pre,post}{,un} scripts in the guidelines. See also this recent discussion:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2006-December/msg00128.html

BTW, I think there was already a consensus some months ago to disallow
output from the rpm scripts entirely. But it never found the way into
the guidelines afaics :-/

CU
thl