Xawtv: some questions

Andy Shevchenko andy at smile.org.ua
Sat Dec 30 06:48:29 UTC 2006

Hi Dmitry Butskoy!

 On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 08:33:29PM +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote next:

> Whereas it gives some improvements in GUI, there is a regression too --
> an absence of some useful command-line tools and console radio.

> I'm still using "radio" (console/cmdline radio application) and "v4lctl"
> (for example, to set the TV channel when an application is not capable
> for this).
> Anyway, such tools could be useful for scripting and network streaming
> (i.e. start to record radio from the crond, etc.)
As for me the fbtv the most useful tool in this project (I've found nothing
analogs for framebuffer tv viewer).

> 3)  Is it applicable to provide the needed tools only, without TV viewer
> at all?
What tools are you considering as needed here? I think that is some wrong
question due to I'll ask to add fbtv first, somebody will ask to add another tool
from xawtv project and so on.

> 4)  Should the package be splitted to subpackages (as some distros use
> it) or one big package is better (Fedora way)?
IMO, like to fbida we can split to X11 related, console related tools, docs, and (may
be) common part. However, the zvbi lib already included to FE.

> 5)  What about "tv-fonts", accompanied with xawtv? Whether it is
> required or not? How it should be named ("xawtv-tv-fonts" or just
> "tv-fonts")?
IIRC this package is necessary to the teletext messaging. The fonts package
is shipped as separate tarball. Thus may be good to pack it separately as
tv-fonts (like to other fonts packages in the FE).

> Note, that one of the problem for the "radio" was unicode console
> support, which I've added recently. :)
Are you using libncursesw for it?

--
With best regards,