query regarding openswan

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Mon Dec 4 09:49:42 UTC 2006

Amit Dey wrote:
> You might think that this is not related to fedora-extras. But I plan
> to make a software which uses openswan and submit it to fedora-extras,
you should still look for the documentation in openswan's wiki...

> I want to know the difference between these 3 things.
> 1)adding connection information to /etc/ipsec.conf
this step defines the actual connection. when ipsec is started, it
examines the ipsec.conf file, creates a lists of connections which can
be left in one of several states (ignored, added, upped..)

> 2)ipsec auto --add conname
this step adds a connection which (was already described in ipsec.conf
and either a) marked as ignored or b)was added but deleted afterwards )
to the list of connections available to the kernel

> 3)ipsec auto --up connection
this step tries to activate (& use) the connection which was previously
upped.

You will find better and more detailed explanations on freeswan's and
openswan's sites/wiki