On Debian and Fedora experiences

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Thu Dec 7 21:19:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 17:30 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
>> On 12/7/06, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
>>> install yum-utils. run package-cleanup --leaves.
>>>

>> great!
>> So I can: remove package xxx, run package-cleanup --leaves, remove
>> what is listed there.
>
> package-cleanup is useful, but --leaves only deals with lib* packages at
> the moment, and --leaves --all tends to list a bit too many packages for
> my taste for my most common use cases.
>
> Other related things I've found useful:
> - apt-get -D remove foo
> - rpmdev-rmdevelrpms after customizing devpkgs
>  in /etc/rpmdevtools/rmdevelrpms.conf
> - weekly "diff -u /var/log/rpmpkgs.1 /var/log/rpmpkgs"

  Related but unrelated...

- `yum list extras`

  The subcommand name is a little deceptive; from what I've read it was
created before Fedora Extras came to existance (or was named such,
anyway).  From the man page:

        yum list extras [glob_exp1] [...]
               List the packages installed on the system that are not available
               in any yum repository listed in the config file.

  It's kind of like deborphan in that it can find packages that didn't get
replaced after upgrading to a new Fedora release.  AFAICT, it only checks
the NEVR; I've had it fail to catch a package I was reviewing once it
showed up in the repo (it assumed they were the same package).

      Jima